Big news An industry first. Ransomware protection for Kubernetes by Kasten/Veeam

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Kasten 4 by Veeam is out today folks and it has some big news!!

https://blog.kasten.io/ransomware-protection-kasten-k10-v4?hsCtaTracking=01895365-d3ab-4328-82e7-7e8e93bcc630%7C15fc9b41-2024-489a-890b-62fd5b66231f

8 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Wow, interesting features.

And now some integration with Veeam in V5?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Wow, interesting features.

And now some integration with Veeam in V5?

Hard to say. As we see Veeam likes to keep some things separate like O365.. but my guess would be yes, even if I am just basing my judgement on the fact that Tanzu is so deeply intertwined with Vsphere.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

I've just watched the recording of the webinar from @michaelcade. There’s a slide on the future integrating. The first step will be storing Kubernetes backups on a VBR backup repository; with that also offloading and restoring capabilities could be introduced.

Here's the link to the recording: https://www.veeam.com/videos/webinar-introduction-to-kubernetes.html?rwty

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Good spot, yes there is integration planned and in the works, from a Kasten K10 perspective this will not be as far out as 5.* is my guess at least. I cannot share exactly when this will be but it is coming. There will be much more talk and detail on this likely at VeeamON :wink: Kasten has a release cycle of every 2 weeks so 4.0.1 was released last week and then you will see releases every two weeks. 

Let me know the feedback on the webinar as well, right levels? need to go deeper? more high level? I want to try and keep to these every month or quarter depending on what makes sense.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Let me know the feedback on the webinar as well, right levels? need to go deeper? more high level? I want to try and keep to these every month or quarter depending on what makes sense.

I would say for me it was just right; you didn't go too deep but it was still very interesting.

I'm getting more and more a better picture of Kubernetes. Until now only theory but I hope to find time to do the Kasten hands-on lab.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I had to watch a recording as work has had a spring time blooming :) I thought it was very good as well. Kubernetes is big and when looking at the whole picture is complex. The secret is to take the components one at a time. I think Michael is doing a great job of this only with video but also the series that has created here on the community forums.  I have read some Kubernetes “intros” that scared the hell out of me.. i.e. this looks as much fun as going to the dentist to get a tooth pulled :), but when explained well it becomes addictive.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@michaelcade ‘s webinar was very interesting. I am trying to get a picture of containers and kubernetes at the moment. So this was helpful. The starter lab at the kasten website was good, too. And the free ebook you could get by finishing the lab is a great reference.

So, the pieces are getting together slowly and are forming a picture… 😎

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Here the link to the starter lab on the Kasten website and the free kubernetes ebook.

https://www.kasten.io/kubecon/quick-start-kubernetes-challenge

Comment