Solved

agent backup error - "Certificate not found"

Userlevel 1

Good day all, hoping to find someone who has either seen this or may know where I could start to troubleshoot (I'll open a ticket with support as well, just hedging my bets here). We've used Veeam for server/VM backups for a few years and it's awesome.

For workstation backups, we've used Carbonite (don't ask, we've tried to get rid of it in the past but got shot down by higher ups/non administrators) but it has been decided that we're not going to renew this year (got about a month left on our annual term).

Over the last year, I implemented OneDrive KFM so that our desktop and documents folders are resilient and more "portable", which has made our hardware swaps much smoother and reduced the need for Carbonite.

But I digress...while nobody actually said to go find a replacement for Carbonite (it seems to be the thought that OneDrive KFM is a replacement for backups,.which I know it's not), I am looking into alternatives, and Veeam would seem like the logical choice. So I've been doing some testing, as we have some surplus license instances available to use.

Now, most of our workers are back in the office at least part time, but I don't see at least partial "work from home" going away any time soon. The one workstation I've been using for testing is my own, and I am fully remote, have been since before COVID. I'm also the only admin, we just have some help desk guys who frankly don't know much about backups or Veeam in particular.

In my testing, I'm getting some erratic results. Most jobs fail, with the error "certificate not found" - I've pored through the verbose job logs on the workstation computer, and there's nothing further beyond that. I've checked DNS to make sure there aren't any issues there (our remote clients use Windows VPN routed through an Azure virtual network and can change IPs rather frequently, which has led at times to some propagation issues related to DNS across our domain controllers).

I can't find a single piece of evidence so far on the internet that mentions this error. Any ideas?

icon

Best answer by JMeixner 24 March 2022, 12:23

View original

12 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Do you have the complete error message or - better - a snip of the logfile with the error for us?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Do you have the complete error message or - better - a snip of the logfile with the error for us?

Yes as per Joe we need more information on the error.  The logs can be found here to check - c:\programdata\veeam

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I am sure this issue isn’t in the right space. Can this be moved into the right space?

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I saw this thread on Reddit, have already tried what suggested from other users, even reinstall agent on that machine?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Veeam/comments/ql4rt8/agent_backup_error_certificate_not_found/

Just try to check this solution I found on Veeam Forum if it’s related to your case:

“Last but not least, check local policies under "Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\Security Options" on both servers(Windows agent + VBR). Following keys should be in NotConfigured\AllowAll state: [Network security: LAN Manager authentication level], [Restrict NTLM: Incoming traffic], [Restrict NTLM: Outgoing traffic].”

https://forums.veeam.com/veeam-agent-for-windows-f33/failed-to-send-certificate-but-certificate-is-required-for-remote-agent-management-t66320.html

We have recently implemented OneDrive KFM so that the desktop and document folders can be accessed from anywhere, providing us with more flexibility and mobility, and has ...

Hello everyone,

I came here for the same reason (looking for a solution) and with same issue @johnwhat presented.

I have uninstalled and installed the Agent again successfully, but the error Veeam B&R still shows is:

“Failed to send certificate, but certificate is required for remote agent management”

The solutions shown in the link shared by @marcofabbri did not work for me.

Thanks in advance for your kind advise.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

From my perspective, and no so much information, looks like a communications issue, maybe ports or firewall blocking services at some point.

Pleas check the link @marcofabbri shared with you with the ports 6184 & 6185.

keep us posted

cheers

From my perspective, and no so much information, looks like a communications issue, maybe ports or firewall blocking services at some point.

Pleas check the link @marcofabbri shared with you with the ports 6184 & 6185.

keep us posted

cheers

Again, none of the links and solutions provided worked for my case.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Pleas check the link @marcofabbri shared with you with the ports 6184 & 6185.

keep us posted

cheers

Again, none of the links and solutions provided worked for my case.

Can you give us more info? 
is it remote or locally?

have you test it in same lan?

did you open a case with support?

are those machines under a domain? Any restrictions from policy perspective?

antivirus? Windows firewall?

Thanks for your questions, but none of them result in a way to solve the issue as I have already tried all of that.
Support does not know the root cause yet.
If I find the solution I will share it here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Ok, no worries, As you can see, we try to help and understand the situations, but better than Veeam Support, no one.

please keep us posted to Lear the lesson of your issue, trying to explain the full picture for better understanding.

cheers.

I know this is a quite old post, but I just encountered this problem in my test environment. Tried everything but I didn’t check the user used for this backup job. You might want to check if the user is member of the “Protected users” group in your active directory. If so, remove this group and try again.

Comment