Solved

Add Hyper-V to Virtual Infrastructure Failing

Userlevel 1

Please help with adding a Hyper-V host. 

Veeam 11. New Hyper-V Server > Credentials: Added Domain User to Administrators Group on Hyper-V Host. Veeam B&R and Hyper-V Host on same domain.

Window Firewall Off:

Windows Firewall On:

RANT:
Hours in, this is frustrating that Veeam doesn’t nip this in the bud and does not rely on MS technology (Ports, WMI...etc) to install, and shifts responsibility onto the customer and offers unhelpful dialog boxes and similar push back in forums.

icon

Best answer by danfoxley 29 July 2022, 10:06

View original

8 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi! I had the same problem today with a dedicated lab enviroment.

To solve this error, you need to type the username like HYPERVHOSTNAME\Administrator

Ps: This procedure is not necessary for Veeam One 😀

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Glad you’ve got it resolved, seems strange though that disabling Windows Firewall didn’t let this through, but adding a rule did.

Userlevel 1

Got it installed.  Looking at another hyper-v host. all File and Printer Sharing rules had 3 each, one for each profile (Public, Private, Domain) and Domain was enabled for each.

For hyper-v host with issue,  File and Printer sharing had one rule for All proflile, not one each for each profile - go figure.

I enabled each File and Printer sharing rule and set the Profile to Domain. This hyper-v host was a fresh install of 2016 and updates including 2022-07 updates. 

Enabling these rules allow Hyper-V host to be added to B&R.

Userlevel 1

For the initial setup Veeam does use RPC/SMB to connect to the server and deploy/install it's Services.

What Windows Server version is running on your Hyper-V?

Server 2016

Do you see any errors in the security eventlog while Veeam tries to connect?

Lots of “noise” in Security log, but no I don’t see anything stand out as an error, and DO see the Veeam Hyper-V Credential used and is logging in successfully.

If nothing helps, you can open a case and let Veeam support look at this. They should be able to point you in the right direction.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks @danfoxley, I’d suggest jumping into Veeam’s logs (C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup by default) to see the full verbose output + any error codes. Based on what you’ve said I’d assume most likely a service not running on the Hyper-V server.

Userlevel 1

As the hostname has ‘10’ in the name, is it a windows 10/11 client OS with Hyper-V installed? 

Server 2016

Can you ping the hyper-v server via its FQDN? That’ll rule out DNS.

Yes.

Is the hyper-v server domain joined?

Yes, in the same Domain as Veeam.

re: Used Ports:

Since hosts, hyper-v and Veeam, are on the same LAN/Subnet (no router or NAT/firewall), I’m counting on firewall on host(s) to address any port issues. I turned off firewall on hyper-v in original post.

re: Permissions

I’m using a member of the Administrator group both on Veeam and hyper-v.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi,

Just to clarify a few things:

As the hostname has ‘10’ in the name, is it a windows 10/11 client OS with Hyper-V installed?

Can you ping the hyper-v server via its FQDN? That’ll rule out DNS.

Is the hyper-v server domain joined? If not are you using the built-in administrator account (.\Administrator) or another account? If so it could be a UAC issue

I assume you’ve seen the following:

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/hyperv/used_ports.html?ver=110

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/hyperv/required_permissions.html?ver=110

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

For the initial setup Veeam does use RPC/SMB to connect to the server and deploy/install it's Services.

What Windows Server version is running on your Hyper-V? Do you see any errors in the security eventlog while Veeam tries to connect?

If nothing helps, you can open a case and let Veeam support look at this. They should be able to point you in the right direction.

Comment