Solved

365 Backup Proxy

Userlevel 1

Hey all,

I’m just working with a 30-day trial and really focused on backing up my MS 365 environment. 

I set up a test using my on-prem backup server as the proxy and offloading the data to an Azure Blob (also a trial). And it worked! :D

But it’s slow. Like 1.2 MB/s processing rate.

My question is, has anyone setup something similar with an Azure VM as the proxy? And if so, does it improve performance? 

Thank you very much for your time!

icon

Best answer by Mildur 13 May 2021, 19:54

View original

9 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

First question:

what is slow?

Data download from the source? Are you throttled by microsoft? Happens many times on Sharepoint Backup.

or is the data saving to the Azure Blob the bottleneck?

you can speed up SPO Backups with multiple Backup Accounts:

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vbo365/guide/backup_accounts.html?ver=50

Userlevel 1

Thanks for the quick reply Mildur,

The Veeam interface says the bottleneck is “Source”. That would fit in well with the throttling MS does. 

That said, I think I should do some more testing. This server has another workload on it that is taking significant resources at the moment. 

I didn’t know about multiple backup accounts. I appreciate that guidance. 

I need to do some more digging before spending the $200 on an Azure VM. Namely get this other job cleared off this server. 

Thanks again for your time!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

No Problem. Happy to help you out.

You will see the throttling in the VBO365 Proxy Logs somewhere in C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup365

I am fighting with the same problem at the moment. Initial Backup of 1TB Sharepoint Data. 5 Backup Accounts are not enough :D

Userlevel 1

Hey Mildur, 

Can I bother you with this? :)
5/13/2021 11:20:04 AM  138 (8460)  ******@saundersinc.com: requests 5560, throttled 443

Found this in that log. (Blocked out the email address.)

Does this imply that 443 requests were throttled and what about 5100 went through without? That doesn’t sound too bad. This was just a couple accounts. Just a taste, proof of concept and such. :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi Chipset, of course, I‘ll try to help you if I can.

I am not sure about the 5560 number, but it looks that way :)

For the other number, it looks definitely that your backup user was throttled 443 times.

Veeam will retry the download of the file. In the logs you should see when this will happen.

But i think, your next try, the logs will go up to 444 times, because Microsoft doesn‘t like it when a throttled account comes back to soon to request even more data.

I have disabled my backup job for 2-3 days now. I will retry the job tomorrow with 10 backup Accounts and I hope it will work without the throttling then.

I can let you know tomorrow how it works for me.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

The problem of the speed could be one of the following or a combination. When you use an on-premise VBO365 and is also proxy then al the data needs to be downloaded from O365, of course ;-). But then you offload the backups to Azure BLOB storage. The problem could be that you have a slow upload-bandwidth, mostly a lot slower than download-bandwidth. Also the data is not directly written to Azure BLOB, but first on a local repository that transfers the data as soon as possible to the object-storage. What storage are you using locally? Recommened is SSD, this could be also the bottleneck.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Check out How to temporarily turn off MS O365 throttling | Veeam Community Resource Hub by @mariuszr if it turns out MS is actually bottlenecking your data, handy for the initial seeds :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Check out How to temporarily turn off MS O365 throttling | Veeam Community Resource Hub by @mariuszr if it turns out MS is actually bottlenecking your data, handy for the initial seeds :)

This will sadly not work for OneDrive and Sharepoint. :(

Only EWS, which is for Exchange Online Data

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Check out How to temporarily turn off MS O365 throttling | Veeam Community Resource Hub by @mariuszr if it turns out MS is actually bottlenecking your data, handy for the initial seeds :)

I could be wrong but does that just work on the email part. I am not the O365 expert in my shop but it seems that Microsoft have separate throttles for things like sharepoint and online exchange? Unless I am wrong here.

Comment