Windows Server 2022 Released – What to remember before you start upgrading!

Show first post

57 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

There are rumors that the free Hyper-V service will be removed in Windows Server 2022.

Sad, this was a simple testing environment for virtual systems in several windows server versions.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Yup saw that in the R&D Forums Gosteagram this morning. Do I hear KVM :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I was surprised to this news of Hyper-V Server not continuing as a free hypervisor. 

This was, in my professional opinion, the best free hypervisor option in the market.  A game changer for ROBO/Edge, retail locations, small businesses and more. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I’ve heard these rumours too. Apparently Hyper-V role will continue in Windows Server 2022 but Hyper-V is going to be giving way to Azure Stack!

Seems only fitting from the company that will make Exhange/SharePoint/Skype for Business 2022 all subscription only for their on-premises offerings…

Ready or not, here comes cloud! 😉

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Since the official image is out, I will be testing this via MDT/WDS soon and may end up performing an in-place upgrade soon.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

When @Gostev had not mention it in his digest, I would have missed that Microsoft does not offer a free Hyper-V with 2022 any more.

I can tell you this, vNote42 having worked with Anton for almost 11 years….  * * * NOTHING * * *  gets by Gostev. Ever.

🤣🤣🤣 that can be exhausting….

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

On that subject, IE11 will be disabled in Windows 10 next year (15th June 2022) unless you’re using Windows 10 LTSC. Instead it’s going to force you to use IE Mode within Edge.

Microsoft will support IE mode until at least 2029.

More information here: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-it-pro-blog/internet-explorer-11-desktop-app-retirement-faq/ba-p/2366549

That is a long time to support old tech but at least they are removing it from the OS.

Comment