Windows Server 2022 Released – What to remember before you start upgrading!

Show first post

57 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

When @Gostev had not mention it in his digest, I would have missed that Microsoft does not offer a free Hyper-V with 2022 any more.

I can tell you this, vNote42 having worked with Anton for almost 11 years….  * * * NOTHING * * *  gets by Gostev. Ever.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks for the comments @Chris.Childerhose & @chris_eromosele!

It may sound crazy, but I’m looking forward to Microsoft Edge being built in 😆 Hotpatch looks promising but at present it appears to just be for Azure VMs, I heard of Server Core supporting hotpatch too but can’t see that within any official Microsoft documentation.

Certainly some cool tech in this new version, we’ll just have to see how they react in the real world!

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Thanks for the comments @Chris.Childerhose & @chris_eromosele!

It may sound crazy, but I’m looking forward to Microsoft Edge being built in 😆 Hotpatch looks promising but at present it appears to just be for Azure VMs, I heard of Server Core supporting hotpatch too but can’t see that within any official Microsoft documentation.

Certainly some cool tech in this new version, we’ll just have to see how they react in the real world!

Yes built-in Edge is going to be good and down with IE. 😂

Hopefully Windows 11 is the same.

What do you have against IE? Just a little old and un-secure?!

:rofl:

Old fashioned! Funny enough, some applications can only run on IE till date. I had this issue for days back then when i was working with Cisco ISE until i figured it out. 

To be honest, I think IE is vulnerable as not all versions are currently being supported by Microsoft. 

unfortunately you are right, a lot of (older of course) web-applications still just run with IE. Still see customers with flash-based applications. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@MicoolPaul : Good writeup Buddy ! What about with Cisco Platforms UCS ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Has anyone already upgraded? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I’ve done fresh deployments on 2022 with v11a so far. Have had the Windows Server IIS role have a freak out once that messed up a Veeam ONE install but I’ve not pin pointed the root cause yet to report to Microsoft or Veeam… otherwise been spot on! And definitely don’t upgrade any ReFS repository server from 2019 to 2022 atm…

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

On that subject, IE11 will be disabled in Windows 10 next year (15th June 2022) unless you’re using Windows 10 LTSC. Instead it’s going to force you to use IE Mode within Edge.

Microsoft will support IE mode until at least 2029.

More information here: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-it-pro-blog/internet-explorer-11-desktop-app-retirement-faq/ba-p/2366549

Thanks for this information too! Good to know to be able to run old applications if there is not alternative. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I’ve done fresh deployments on 2022 with v11a so far. Have had the Windows Server IIS role have a freak out once that messed up a Veeam ONE install but I’ve not pin pointed the root cause yet to report to Microsoft or Veeam… otherwise been spot on! And definitely don’t upgrade any ReFS repository server from 2019 to 2022 atm…

Same here.  And we will not be upgrading any repo ReFS servers.  We will deploy new, add to SOBR and then seal off the extents on Win2019 in the SOBR so data ages out.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Nice so waiting for v11a before testing.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Update 24/08/2022: Provided information regarding SQL Server and a potential impact with Veeam.

@Rick Vanover @Kseniya , unusual request I know but would Veeam be able to make any comment about whether Veeam v11a will support Windows Server 2022 as a target for backup infrastructure components such as proxy/repository or even VBR itself? Or whether it’s just VM support. Mainly because VBR only comes with SQL Server 2016 express but Windows Server 2022 won’t support this version…

As per Gostev’s latest email -

Speaking of 11a, as a reminder it will be a minor release almost entirely focused on delivering official support for recent and upcoming app, platform and OS versions. I know many folks can't wait for it due to already running yet-unsupported releases. But of course, the main "anchor" of this release for us has been the general availability of Windows Server 2022. So the good news here is that Microsoft has quietly made it generally available last week, ahead of the official launch which is presumed to happen on September 1st. This means that we can start our full regression testing cycle against the Server 2022 GA code straight away, which is really the best case scenario as it will reduce the gap between its launch and our official support.”

Thanks for sharing Chris, I’d read that and took it to assume that means full support, but it’s whether that means a caveat of install your own SQL Server Express or if the ISO will now also bundle either 2017/2019 Express edition for the newer operating systems.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Update 24/08/2022: Provided information regarding SQL Server and a potential impact with Veeam.

@Rick Vanover @Kseniya , unusual request I know but would Veeam be able to make any comment about whether Veeam v11a will support Windows Server 2022 as a target for backup infrastructure components such as proxy/repository or even VBR itself? Or whether it’s just VM support. Mainly because VBR only comes with SQL Server 2016 express but Windows Server 2022 won’t support this version…

Speaking of 11a, as a reminder it will be a minor release almost entirely focused on delivering official support for recent and upcoming app, platform and OS versions. I know many folks can't wait for it due to already running yet-unsupported releases. But of course, the main "anchor" of this release for us has been the general availability of Windows Server 2022. So the good news here is that Microsoft has quietly made it generally available last week, ahead of the official launch which is presumed to happen on September 1st. This means that we can start our full regression testing cycle against the Server 2022 GA code straight away, which is really the best case scenario as it will reduce the gap between its launch and our official support.”

Thanks for sharing Chris, I’d read that and took it to assume that means full support, but it’s whether that means a caveat of install your own SQL Server Express or if the ISO will now also bundle either 2017/2019 Express edition for the newer operating systems.

I gotcha.  Yeah would be nice if they updated the SQL Express to a newer version from 2016.  Maybe they will who knows but my suspicion is that it will not so this might be an install it first then Veeam scenario.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I think it is fair to say that Veeam Backup & Replication v11a (due in September of this year) will provide full Windows Server 2022 support:

-Backup as a VM (all hypervisors)

-Be on a backup proxy (Hyper-V)

-Installed upon (B&R on WS2022)

-Veeam Components installed on WS2022

That’s the MO here when it comes to platform support. That being said, it is not final till it is generally available. This was mentioned in the R&D Forum Digest this week (WS2022 support) by El G himself. I hope this helps @MicoolPaul  and @Chris.Childerhose 

Perfect, thanks for confirming that’s the intended plan :relaxed:

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

There are rumors that the free Hyper-V service will be removed in Windows Server 2022.

Sad, this was a simple testing environment for virtual systems in several windows server versions.

Guess I will be keeping Win2019 in the lab then to use Hyper-V for testing and VMCE/A study.  :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Fine, thanks for the update @Mildur 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

When @Gostev had not mention it in his digest, I would have missed that Microsoft does not offer a free Hyper-V with 2022 any more.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Just wanted to post this here but again you’re faster @Mildur. At least this time I’ve noticed it :sweat_smile:

Haha :) my morning routine. Check the forums.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Nice one @MicoolPaul and thank you for the opportunity to add these comments.

If anyone wants to play with Windows Server 2022, kindly take a look at this guide: https://techdirectarchive.com/2021/04/02/how-to-install-windows-server-2022-on-vmware-workstation/ 

I love its Hybrid capabilities with Azure! Here are some capabilities of Windows Server 2022https://techdirectarchive.com/2021/04/11/what-are-the-new-capabilities-in-windows-server-2022/ 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I can tell you this, vNote42 having worked with Anton for almost 11 years….  * * * NOTHING * * *  gets by Gostev. Ever.

:joy:

Wikigostev

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Definitely seems that way. :joy:

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I agree with you. Rebootless patching (hotpatch) will at least help in making servers highly available. 

I recently deployed IoT 21H1 and MS Edge was actually builtin.

- The new Chromium-based Microsoft Edge browser is included in most releases and even with Windows Server 2022, replacing Internet Explorer.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

What do you have against IE? Just a little old and un-secure?!

:rofl:

Old fashioned! Funny enough, some applications can only run on IE till date. I had this issue for days back then when i was working with Cisco ISE until i figured it out. 

To be honest, I think IE is vulnerable as not all versions are currently being supported by Microsoft. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I agree with you. Rebootless patching (hotpatch) will at least help in making servers highly available. 

I recently deployed IoT 21H1 and MS Edge was actually builtin.

- The new Chromium-based Microsoft Edge browser is included in most releases and even with Windows Server 2022, replacing Internet Explorer.

I missed this point. Windows 11 has MSEdge builtin. If you wish to test windows 11, please join the Windows Insider program and here is how to upgrade afterwards: https://techdirectarchive.com/2021/06/29/windows-11-feature-specific-hardware-and-software-requirements-how-to-upgrade-to-windows-11-from-windows-10-as-a-windows-insider/ 

Previously, it was so generous that my lab device was not TPM 2.0 complaint, yet i was still able to run Windows 11. Here are the prerequisites for running W11: https://techdirectarchive.com/2021/07/05/windows-11-system-requirements-why-does-microsoft-require-additional-system-requirements-how-to-check-if-you-have-secure-boot-and-tpm-enabled/

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I think it is too early… Some are probably testing!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Comment