[What (esle) is new in v11 - VII] Persistent guest agent

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Default behavior in VBR (incl. v11!): When a VM gets application-aware backed up, runtime components gets installed at start of job and are removed at the end. With v11 we have the option to install them persistent!

This increases security! No Admin-Share and VIX-access is necessary any more. But it is required to deploy the Veeam Installer Service on the VMs you want to use persistent components.

This can be done by manual installation, Group policy roll-out, or by adding the VM to managed Servers.

When everything works fine, components are installed persistently:

If you enable this feature and something does not work (as installer is not deployed, ..), VBR tries to run non-persistent components.

7 comments

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

This will make things much easier for our clients definitely.  Looking forward to this one. :sunglasses:

Userlevel 5
Badge

I think this is only a temporary plan? After it is announced on February 24 and waiting for the official document to confirm, thank you @vNote42, @MicoolPaul  and @regnor for your help. :blush:

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thank you @vNote42 for sharing, could you please let me want to know the use of this component, and where is it used?

It is used if you enable application aware processing for a windows VM; that way Veeam will prepare the VM/application and do additional tasks. This process is always removed from the VM afterwards. With the persistent agent Veeam doesn't have to deploy it for every job run; less firewall configuration and better security.

Awesome share @vNote42 , thank you i hadn’t read that in the release notes

Have the release notes already been published?

Nope any available documentation (the sharing of which is prohibited at present) indicates as it’s not GA yet it’s subject to change still. Not long now!

I am waiting for the “what’s new” document as well :grin:

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Thank you @vNote42 for sharing, could you please let me want to know the use of this component, and where is it used?

It is used if you enable application aware processing for a windows VM; that way Veeam will prepare the VM/application and do additional tasks. This process is always removed from the VM afterwards. With the persistent agent Veeam doesn't have to deploy it for every job run; less firewall configuration and better security.

Nope any available documentation (the sharing of which is prohibited at present) indicates as it’s not GA yet it’s subject to change still. Not long now!

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Awesome share @vNote42 , thank you i hadn’t read that in the release notes

Userlevel 5
Badge

Thank you @vNote42 for sharing, could you please let me want to know the use of this component, and where is it used?

Comment