[What (else) is new in v12 - VI] Two-factor authentication for VBR console

Userlevel 7
Badge +7
  • Veeam Legend, Veeam Vanguard
  • 1201 comments

Quite a cool new feature is the ability to enable Multi-factor authentication (MFA) for the VBR console login.

With this a user has to enter username, password and an additional confirmation code that comes from a Authenticator app like Google Authenticator.

At first login, User can add VBR to his Authenticator app.

It is really simple to use.

BUT: 2FA works only for VBR console, NOT for PowerShell!

Another security improvement is the option for Automatic Session logoff:

15 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yes, that a must have feature in case you use the console on a management host to access the VBR server on another machine. :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Really liking this feature to come in v12 as it will help us with further security enhancement for access. 😎

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Yes, that a must have feature in case you use the console on a management host to access the VBR server on another machine. :)

Exactly, for those cases MFA was the last missing piece. Can't wait for v12 to implement it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Super feature.

This is one of the first changes we will make after installing V12...

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Nice feature, but the MFA will be usable only for the remote console, not directly on the VBR server.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Nice feature, but the MFA will be usable only for the remote console, not directly on the VBR server.

I have activated the 2FA directly on my V12 test server… Works without problems...

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

You can use it on the VBR server with a user account just not Administrator or anyone in Admin group.  I did test this and it worked.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

You can use it on the VBR server with a user account just not Administrator or anyone in Admin group.  I did test this and it worked.

Ok good to know, during a presentation I understood that. After on the VBR server the usage is less cause the powershell still accessible...

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Nice feature! I notice that admin users are not asked for MFA.

It makes senses, but I don't know…

There are some cases that admin users' access VBR server/console.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Change after Beta2, MFA can also be enabled for an admin account.

Thanks
Fabian

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Change after Beta2, MFA can also be enabled for an admin account.

Thanks
Fabian

Ooh nice!  That will be another great add for this. 👍🏼

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Yay, this is going to be a great feature! 

Is there a way to reset access in case someone loses their phone for example?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

You can reset the MFA for any user

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

You can reset the MFA for any user

Ah thank you! I hope to give it a spin soon but really looking forward to this. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Great feature! Recently, a lot attacks have been perpetrated on 2FA. Here is a link for this. 

Note: Despite the hacks etc, I still highly recommend it (far better than the alternative of simply relying on a username and strong password), and also recommend user awareness training whenever possible… 

Comment