VBO365 - Disable Basic Auth in M365 per Oct. 1, 2022

Show first post

28 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@SOLUTIONS Unfortunately I haven’t read or heard any positive news about this topic. Veeam is still working on this together with Microsoft and we can only hope that something will change this October.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

@Mildur , this is not a Veeam Backup Office 365 question, but will there be a solution for VBR Mail notification with a Office 365 mail server? As far as I understood, this is at the moment just possible with legacy authentication. I discussed this with a colleague today. I wasn’t aware of this topic. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

This will be an interesting situation to watch, Microsoft have looked at charging for certain API accesses  historically (and backed down every time).

Part of me worries that once we lose alternatives such as basic access, we are giving Microsoft more leverage to take a “like it or lump it” approach and start charging for certain Graph APIs or above certain usage rates. (Understandably, they are a .com after all).

It tooks ages to get the Microsoft Teams Graph APIs but hopefully we’ll see the shortfalls addressed in v6 and subsequent updates as Veeam work with Microsoft to reduce the feature disparity between Basic & Modern auth.

It’s 2021 and I have to suggest to customers to use Basic Auth as the “holy grail” of Modern Auth is too limited to be a replacement for some.

This will be interesting for sure as O365 is a big seller for us.  Let's see what happens.

Comment