Reminder: Veeam Support Stance when new Product Versions are released (e.g. v11)

• 27 January 2021
  • 4 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I just wanted to remind people of Veeam’s stance towards supporting multiple editions of products with the impending release of v11 and the all-star collection of upgrades we’re about to receive.

Veeam have three stages to the end of the lifecycle of a product version:

Stage One: End of Fix

Veeam focus their development on bug fixing on the latest available version only, so if you encounter a bug with v10 once v11 is released, one of two things will happen:

1. If the issue is resolved on v11, you will be advised to upgrade to v11.
  2. If the issue isn’t resolved on v11, Veeam’s default stance is not to fix on v10, but instead focus efforts on fixing in v11, they do have a caveat this will be reviewed on a case by case basis but you shouldn’t expect to get a fix on v10.

You will still receive technical support on products in this stage provided you have a valid support contract.

Stage Two: End of Support

Once a product has reached end of support even with a valid support contract you will no longer receive support for this product, you will be required to upgrade to a version that is still in active development or at Stage One of it’s EOL cycle.

Stage Three: End of Life

Once a product is end of life, the ability to download this product is removed from the website entirely (case by case exceptions may apply here).

With all these great releases around the corner, please take the time to make sure you’re not about to suddenly fall into stage 2/3 and start planning your upgrades now if applicable.

Want to read more?

Full information available here, this contains a PDF of the current stage in the lifecycle of currently supported products: KB1530: End of Support Details for Veeam Products

4 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Legacy OS or legacy applications would be the only reason which I can think of to stay on an older version of Veeam. Otherwise I would suggest everyone to stay up to date as the Veeam updates go very well for the most of the time.

Exactly my thoughts. And if you’re doing this, it’s important to keep everything compatible with each other. If you need an old version of Veeam for a legacy OS, don’t upgrade your hypervisor to a version that requires a Veeam upgrade! And when you realise the cumulative security risks this introduces, then you double down on a migration or mitigation plan!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Legacy OS or legacy applications would be the only reason which I can think of to stay on an older version of Veeam. Otherwise I would suggest everyone to stay up to date as the Veeam updates go very well for the most of the time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Afternoon!

So just to pre-warn, the below is my opinion, not backed by any evidence from Veeam.

I don’t see a requirement for this as traditionally vendors that have sold extended support are vendors that charge for upgrades, such as Windows Server OS. You pay for extended support due to the complexity and additional costs involved in upgrading. However with Veeam you have a support contract that entitles you to upgrades. So there are very few reasons not to upgrade. Mainly those are legacy OS’ where Veeam can’t get vendor support either.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

What about the extended support for v10? The way other vendors offer extended support for the end of life products, Veeam may choose to offer for v10 or v9 for an additional cost. 

Comment