Object First: New company from the Veeam founders

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I have just discovered an interesting session in the VeeamON agenda: “Object First Makes Veeam Backups Better”

“Object First” is the new company from the Veeam founders Andrei Baronov and Ratmir Timashev!

So far there’s not much information available, but according to an interview on vmblog.com (https://vmblog.com/archive/2022/05/06/veeamon-2022-q-a-object-first-will-showcase-how-it-provides-primary-target-object-storage-for-veeam.aspx) we’re going to see an object storage based primary backup repository specifically designed for Veeam Backup.

I personally didn’t hear anything about this company before and would have probably missed the session, as it’s already tomorrow and not found in the main agenda.
The session will start on Monday at 12:00PM PT or 9:00PM GMT+2. In case you’re also interested, here’s the link to the session: https://web.cvent.com/hub/events/659c08fe-e178-47e3-b354-f251151abefe/sessions/d9ce1628-a7d1-44fb-8684-cb1525ec061e

Also here’s the webpage of Object First: https://objectfirst.com/

I’m really excited for this session and can’t wait to see what they’ll introduce in detail. Object Storage will receive a much higher focus in v12 as we’ll be able to use it as a primary repository. So I think in the future we will have a much higher adoption of object storage, both on-premises and in the cloud.

24 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hopefully I can get to this one. Going to be good.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Very interesting finding,  @regnor  😎👍🏼

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Thanks for the information @regnor ! I also added this session to my agenda.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Thanks for the information @regnor ! I also added this session to my agenda.

same for me :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thank you for sharing @regnor! Looking forward to the session

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Mhh, perhaps I am just blind….

But if I click on this link I get to a recording of this session from May 1st… So, I think this is why it was not in the agenda.

There are some more recordings from May 1st...

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

@JMeixner I just came here to post the same…

I'm not sure what happend here but yesterday the session was scheduled for today...And now if I look at the schedule it's only on-demand and was suppose to be scheduled for 01/05. If it was my mistake then I'll have to apologize 😐

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@JMeixnerI just came here to post the same…

I'm not sure what happend here but yesterday the session was scheduled for today...And now if I look at the schedule it's only on-demand and was suppose to be scheduled for 01/05. If it was my mistake then I'll have to apologize 😐

No problem, the session you have found is great - regardless if it is a recording or a live session 😃

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Mhh, perhaps I am just blind….

But if I click on this link I get to a recording of this session from May 1st… So, I think this is why it was not in the agenda.

There are some more recordings from May 1st...

I would say you are right! The transcript was posted on Friday, May 06, 2022 7:31 AM by David Marshall. I think another Video was made on this day as well “VeeamON Know Before You Go” by the @Rick Vanover .

is this video or link working for anyone?

correction - it works when AdBlockPlus and Ghostery are disabled.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The video is working. You need a valid VeeamOn registration. Then click on the button after you are logged in.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The link is working. You just need to register for VeeamON 2022 to be able to access it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

From what I got at their booth at VeeamON, it is super easy to configure (even the non-technical demo guy got it one up and running in about 15 minutes). Each node is 128TB and it can scale to 4 nodes at this time. They demo guy said it was only available for VBK. I’m curious to see what’s holding them up from making it compatible with VBM365.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

From what I got at their booth at VeeamON, it is super easy to configure (even the non-technical demo guy got it one up and running in about 15 minutes). Each node is 128TB and it can scale to 4 nodes at this time. They demo guy said it was only available for VBK. I’m curious to see what’s holding them up from making it compatible with VBM365.

You would think being object it is compatible but only tests will confirm I guess. Great tech for sure.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Thanks mate, I missed this thread.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Can confirm it is super easy to configure. I have a loaner in the lab. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Can confirm it is super easy to configure. I have a loaner in the lab. 

Ooh that must be nice for testing. 😋

Userlevel 4
Badge

hey all
some news about “objectfirst”? i would love to hear and see more..
used hardware on veamon 2022 is obviously supermicro (6029P-WTRT); did anybody know more options and specs?

whats about scaling for “larger” enterprises?

daniel

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

hey all
some news about “objectfirst”? i would love to hear and see more..
used hardware on veamon 2022 is obviously supermicro (6029P-WTRT); did anybody know more options and specs?

whats about scaling for “larger” enterprises?

daniel

Daniel - I’d recommend you get with Object First on this. I’ve not seen details other than the number of nodes that can scale. I’ll send this to them also however.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Unfortunately I haven't seen any details on their solution until now. If you get some more information then don't forget to share it here 😉

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I heard at VeeamON they can scale to a 4-node cluster with a total of 128TB of Object Storage.  It will be certified for VBR v12 to start with.  I would assume being object that VBM or VCC would also work as well.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

https://www.crn.com/news/storage/object-first-exits-stealth-focuses-exclusively-on-veeam-environments

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Thanks for sharing @HangTen416!

Their website has been updated with some more information, but still not many details yet.

Badge +1

I just have a demo yesterday directly from ObjectFirst team and it issems to be a great products.

Still waiting availability in Italy 

Comment