KASTEN Disaster Recovery

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Kasten not only backs up your Kubernetes workloads, but it also backs up itself!

Kasten DR can leverage an NFS or S3 remote location to backup its components in the event of something unfortunate happening.

In our case that unfortunate event happened. Junior Joe had just been hired the week before. Junior demanded full access to the Kubernetes cluster “or else” and since his father was best friends with the CEO he soon was given admin user access on the cluster.

On his first day working remotely (which is now every day thanks to covid19) Junior Joe was completely unsupervised so he decided to play around with helm and typed the following on the CLI:

and then:

The result was this:

and with that our Kasten backup setup was history!!!

Luckily the KubeMaster Genius Geoff had previously setup the Kasten DR policy which was backing up Kasten and its settings to an offsite S3 location.

After Junior Joe timidly confessed to his transgressions Genius Geoff went to work:

First he re created the kasten-io namespace:

Then he created the secret that contains the DR passphrase. As the Kasten instructions say, you must setup a passphrase and keep it somewhere safe otherwise you will not be able to restore your Kasten instance.

he then performed a fresh install of Kasten:

Kasten, albeit it empty, is back

Genius Geoff logged in and re-attached the S3 Dr location to this new Kasten install:

The moment of truth had now arrived and he ran the Kasten DR restore command:

Kasten took it from there and went to work:

Just a few moments later, it is as if nothing had ever happened:

Back on the Console Kasten has good news:

Sweet we are back in business!!

Genius Geoff then passed on to Junior Joe the cardinal credo of their profession “No one cares about backups, they care about restores, and successful ones at that!!!”

13 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Genius Geoff 😅💪

good article :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

That’s great, @Geoff Burke

You should create comics about this character and his wisdom :joy:    

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Now all I need is for upper management to get on the GG bandwagon :) . As for the article I hate to admit it but more often than not in my career I have been Junior Joe. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Geoff Burke : well its simply awesome :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Now all I need is for upper management to get on the GG bandwagon :) . As for the article I hate to admit it but more often than not in my career I have been Junior Joe. 

Careful What you wish for @Kseniya @Geoff Burke 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Careful What you wish for @Kseniya @Geoff Burke 

Love it !!! Pro quality too :) !!

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

@MicoolPaul You've got a talent 👏

Watching this thriller I wasn't sure if there would be a happy end, so I'm glad that K.G.G. was able to solve this one. 👍😂

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

O M G! THIS IS AWESOME!!! :zap::zap: :zap:

@MicoolPaul, are you secretly working for Universal Pictures or 20th Century studios? :smile:

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@MicoolPaul, are you secretly working for Universal Pictures or 20th Century studios? :smile:

Definitely not! Haha just trying to make a few people smile on the internet! :grin:

Userlevel 4
Badge

Definitely not! Haha just trying to make a few people smile on the internet! :grin:

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Haha, love it.

the next MCU Phase will need this hero 😁

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Great video. Loved it, laughing all the way. 😎👍🏼

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I think that I have no choice but to continue the Junior Joe and NKGG saga :) . An epic tale :)

Comment