Failed to connect to Veeam Backup and Replication server: How to fix Remote Channel Sink UriNotPublished, remote connection refused, and failed to start the service

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Veeam Backup and Replication is comprehensive data protection and disaster recovery solution which is capable of creating image-level backups of virtual, physical servers, cloud machines, and restoration as well. You may encounter the following errors when installing the Veeam backup and replication tool “VEEAM service is unable to start, error 1064: An exception occurred in the service when handling the control request”. Therefore, I will be showing you the steps on how to resolve this issue very quickly. Here is a detailed link to this post.

If you are here reading this troubleshooting guide "new Veeam Backup server but then Veeam won’t start", this means you must have recently installed Veeam Backup and Replication Server or must have recently upgraded it. As you can see from the images below, these are some errors I encountered while installing Veeam Backup and Replication in my test environment before deployment.

The "Failed to start service / connect to Veeam" and "connection refused". is not a connection or firewall issue. If you encounter similar issue, please endeavour to review the log file. Below are the 

Because of this error, you will also notice that most of the Veeam services are not running. Also, the SQL Server Express was stopped at this moment. Therefore, the error “Remoting Channel Sink UriNotPublished. RequestUri is ‘/VeeamService’ simply means the Veeam Service has not started yet“. To fix these issues, ensure the following registry keys have your server name and the SQL instance and Veeam database name are correct in the windows registry. If everything is fine here just as it is in my case, please proceed to the steps below. Below are the registry keys that need to be verified.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication\SqlInstanceName
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication\SqlServerName
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Backup Catalog\CatalogSharedFolderPath

Also, try to ensure the Veeam Backup and Replication services and the database services are running. If you get an error as shown below while trying to start any of the services, please proceed to the recommended solution below.

Recommended solution: From my log reviews and programs installed on my Server, It seems Veeam Backup and Replication was not correctly installed as I never got any installation success message. Also, these updates were missing and therefore, Veeam installation failed.
I will have to repair the installation. To do this, run the Veeam setup.exe file again as shown below.

This will open the Veeam Backup and Replication window. Click on install Veeam Backup and replication.
- You will now be prompted with the maintenance mode window. Select Repair and click on Next to continue.

Specify your service account. Veeam recommends using the local system account but you can create your own service again due to security reasons.

The repair process will start as shown below. In between you will be asked to apply updates, please apply these updates and continue.

As we can see, the installation has succeeded.

As you can see below, all services have been started successfully. See this article on how to install and configure Veeam Backup and Replication 11 Community Edition.

Henceforth, Veeam backup and Replication should work as expected. Start the Veeam Backup and Replication Console: From the Start menu, select Apps > Veeam > Veeam Backup & Replication Console. Alternatively, to access the Backup and Replication console, open Veeam using the Veeam Backup and Replication Console shortcut created on your desktop and click on connect as shown below.

If you wish to uninstall Veeam Backup and Replication from your server, please follow the steps discussed in this link. I hope you found this blog post helpful.

18 comments

Userlevel 1

Hi, 

Got the same error when connecting to the server. Firewall is already disabled. RDP is enabled. Port 9392 is already open on my router as well. 

I’ve stopped all the veeam services before I tried reinstalling the program, but still getting errors as shown below. Im able to remotely access the machine via RDP without any issue. 

Im trying to install the program within a Windows server 2019 std. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Your SQL Server error message is either firewall/network/DNS to your SQL server, or the service isn’t running that hosts the database. Failing that, your Veeam server has been misconfigured to connect to the SQL instance.

First, check your service is started for SQL, second if it’s on another server, check DNS and firewall!

Userlevel 1

On the SQL server firewall is disabled. Both local network and internet is pingable, and it’s responding to DNS query. 

Some services wont start as shown below.

Userlevel 1

That’s correct, I'm installing Veeam for the first time. There seems to be an error when I run the repair installation.  Pls see below. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Have you followed KB4204 as per the message?

Hello. I tried to run the setup file. Then I got the error “The following SQL database patches are missed: TFS299663, TFS299403, TFS300354, TFS300785.”. Then it rolled back and said installation unsuccessful. My issue started after I changed the certificate.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hello. I tried to run the setup file. Then I got the error “The following SQL database patches are missed: TFS299663, TFS299403, TFS300354, TFS300785.”. Then it rolled back and said installation unsuccessful. My issue started after I changed the certificate.

Hi @vmveam 

Next time, please open your own topic :)

Have a look at this kb article:

https://www.veeam.com/kb4204

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi, 

Got the same error when connecting to the server. Firewall is already disabled. RDP is enabled. Port 9392 is already open on my router as well. 

I’ve stopped all the veeam services before I tried reinstalling the program, but still getting errors as shown below. Im able to remotely access the machine via RDP without any issue. 

Im trying to install the program within a Windows server 2019 std. 

Hello @dxplorer11 

It would have been great to create a new ticket. But here is how i resolved the following issue you have reported: https://techdirectarchive.com/2022/02/24/no-connection-can-be-made-because-the-active-machine-rejected-it-an-exception-occurred-in-the-service-when-handling-the-control-request-error-1064/

Below is another link that you can explore:
https://techdirectarchive.com/2021/06/19/failed-to-connect-to-veeam-backup-replication-server-no-connection-could-be-made-because-the-target-machine-actively-refused-it/

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@dxplorer11 For this specific error “The Server was not found or was not accessible: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server”, ensure the SQL Server service is running: https://techdirectarchive.com/2021/06/19/the-server-was-not-found-or-was-not-accessible-a-network-related-or-instance-specific-error-occurred-while-establishing-a-connection-to-sql-server/ 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Definitely look at the links provided as they should help otherwise create a support ticket.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

It seems to me that this is a new Veeam installation. Is this correct?

If yes, then the Veeam Backup and Replication might have not been correctly installed. Some updates could be missing and therefore. I will recommend you to repair the Veeam Backup and Replication installation.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

If the database isn’t accessible, this will happen. Check this and your logs in c:\programdata\veeam

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Have you followed KB4204 as per the message?

Hello @dxplorer11, just as Paul has suggested, Kindly refer to this guide: https://www.veeam.com/kb4204. Proceed to the section “Scenario 1: Error when repairing Veeam Backup & Replication”. For further questions do not hesitate to ask. 

When I tried to do the installation again, I didn’t get the option to repair.  It just jumped straight into doing a straight up installation.  Is there a different version 11 update package that I should be using?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@ASC this is an old thread I suggest you make a new one specific to your issue

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

It is the same ISO to install and repair.

Which version are you using exactly?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Great article @chris_eromosele nice to see these ones that help with services. 😀

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Great article @chris_eromosele nice to see these ones that help with services. 😀

Thank you! This guide will help those that are trying to install / upgrade Veeam Backup and Replication in their environment.

Comment