Calculating 🤓Required Proxy Tasks 💪

• 22 October 2020
  • 4 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

:hand_splayed: In my previous Topic I showed how to use the Veeam Architects Site :top: ,but how does it give us the amount of Cores and memory that the proxy will use? I'll show you … :nerd:

Getting the right amount of processing power is essential to achieving the RTO/RPO defined by the business. In this section, we will outline the recommendations to follow for appropriate sizing

We define

D = Source data in MB
W = Backup window in seconds
T = Throughput in MB/s = D/W
CR = Change rate
CF = Cores required for full backup = T/100
CI = Cores required for incremental backup = (T * CR)/25

Example:

Our sample infrastructure has the following characteristics:

• 1,000 VMs
  • 100 TB of consumed storage
  • 8 hours backup window
  • 10% change rate

By inserting these numbers into the equations above, we get the following results.

We need to change TB to MB / We need to change Hours to Secs

D = 100 TB * 1024 * 1024 = 104,857,600 MB (Source data in MB)
W = 8 hours * 3600 seconds = 28,800 seconds (Backup window in seconds)
T = 104857600/28800 = 3,641 MB/s (Throughput)

We use the average throughput to predict how many cores are required to meet the defined SLA.

CF = T/100 ~ 36 cores (Cores required for full backup)

The equation is modified to account for decreased performance for incremental backups in the following result:

CI = (T * CR)/25 ~ 14 cores (Cores required for incremental backup)

As seen above, incremental backups typically have lower compute requirements on the proxy servers.

Considering each task consumes up to 2 GB RAM, we get the following result:

36 cores and 72 GB RAM 💪

• For a physical server, it is recommended to install dual CPUs with 10 cores each. 2 physical servers are required.
  • For virtual proxy servers, it is recommended to configure multiple proxies with maximum 8 vCPUs to avoid co-stop scheduling issues. 5 virtual proxy servers are required.

:point_right: If we instead size only for incremental backups rather than full backups, we can predict alternative full backup window with less compute:

WS = 104857600/(14 * 100)
W = WS/3600 ~ 21 hours

:pushpin:Note: Performance largely depends on the underlying storage and network infrastructure. 

:pushpin: Note: Parallel processing may also be limited by max concurrent tasks at the repository level

Remember 

:ballot_box_with_check: Proxies do have multiple task slots to process VM source data. It is best practice to plan for 1 physical core or 1 vCPU and 2 GB of RAM for each of these tasks.

:ballot_box_with_check: A task processes 1 VM disk at a time and CPU/RAM resources are used for inline data deduplication, compression, encryption and other features that are running on the proxy itself.

:ballot_box_with_check: In the User Guide it is stated that proxy servers require 2 GB RAM + 500 MB per task

I hope it has been useful for you to understand what we need to know in order to calculate the tasks of the proxy.

4 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

If you like this, consider attending the official design & optimization class: https://www.veeam.com/vmce_advanced_design_optimization_course_ds.pdf

Userlevel 4
Badge

It works very well! :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

If you like this, consider attending the official design & optimization class: https://www.veeam.com/vmce_advanced_design_optimization_course_ds.pdf

It works very well! :)

@haslund  I have my certificate for VMCAv1 jeje, at the beginning of the year I was preparing to take VMCT Advanced. I really like teaching the design part..

Userlevel 4
Badge

It will be good indeed :)

Comment