20 Things your DR plan is missing in 2021

• 21 December 2020
  • 7 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Great session by @Rick Vanover and Melissa Palmer (= you know it will be extra special!). I think my favorite takeaway is “What does your business expect?”. Managing expectations is important, don’t forget this is often how you can get budget allocated to satisfy actual business needs vs. just asking for money for that shine thing.

Finally, I want you to go into the video with this in mind: “82% of businesses do NOT feel prepared to recover their data center in the event of disaster”… do you feel ready?

7 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Ohh, Nice ...

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Great video - very informative

I clearly have to focus on the automation part next year… :thinking:

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Great content @haslund@Rick Vanover , people should care more about our DR. Unfortenaly people don’t except if they already met one time a disarster :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

How many hours should one calculate in for the whoops factor? :grin:

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Great video. One of my most common risks I highlight to people’s DR plans when talking about Cloud Connect is data access, especially if they have no remote working strategy or use a physical firewall for VPN. The initial response is “well can you make us a VPN”. Of course, but is the middle of a DR the best time to change how all of your staff work? Of course not! I explain to them the goal should be as little change to workflows as possible, they should be aiming for a run book of DNS changes and even better if they can use something like Azure Traffic Manager to automatically steer them into their DR site too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Great video. One of my most common risks I highlight to people’s DR plans when talking about Cloud Connect is data access, especially if they have no remote working strategy or use a physical firewall for VPN. The initial response is “well can you make us a VPN”. Of course, but is the middle of a DR the best time to change how all of your staff work? Of course not! I explain to them the goal should be as little change to workflows as possible, they should be aiming for a run book of DNS changes and even better if they can use something like Azure Traffic Manager to automatically steer them into their DR site too.

Very, very good point! Something like MX records could even point to the cloud provider with just an extract record with the lowest priority (highest number, lol, to avoid confusion).

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

How many hours should one calculate in for the whoops factor? :grin:

42 seems as good as any :sunglasses:

Comment